Tilleke & Gibbins’ 2021 Annual Employment Law Forum Webinar Series ran from November 17 to 30. This year, the forum offered 11 sessions on a range of in-demand topics related to labor law in Thailand and Vietnam. Video recordings of all session are linked to in the descriptions below.
The sessions during the first week were led by lawyers from Tilleke & Gibbins’ dispute resolution group:
- On November 17, Chusert Supasitthumrong and Jessada Anasura gave a Thai-language presentation on the legal framework for termination of employment, scope of duties, and liability of employees after employment contracts end, with a particular focus on COVID-19.
- On November 17, Piyawat Vitooraporn and Thatporn Vanajak highlighted practical issues related to employment conditions and risks that employers should be aware of in a Thai-language session titled “Employment Conditions: Practical Issues and Cautions.”
- On November 18, Dutsadee Dutsadeepanich and Jidapa Srisummacheep led a session on forced resignation under Thai law.
- On November 19, Pongpalin Chantrapirom and Pathanin Sornchangwat gave a presentation titled “Employers’ Commanding Power, Discipline, and Disciplinary Actions.”
On the second week of the 2021 Annual Employment Law Forum, Tilleke & Gibbins’ Thailand corporate and commercial team delivered the following presentations:
- On November 24, Pimvimol Vipamaneerut and Ketnut Pukahuta presented a Thai-language session on transfer of employment issues.
- On November 25, Pimvimol Vipamaneerut and Dusita Khanijou delivered an English-language session titled “Transfer of Employment under Thai Labor Laws” in which they covered many similar issues as on the previous day.
- On November 26, Penrurk Phetmani concluded the second week in an English-language session titled “Update on Work Permits and Visas in Thailand” moderated by Nutavit Sirikan on work permit and visa updates.
On the final week of the forum, Tilleke & Gibbins’ labor teams in Bangkok and Vietnam presented the following discussions:
- On November 29, Chuyen Hong Huu Le and Kien Trung Trinh delivered two sessions titled “Practical Issues for Employee Transfer in Vietnam”—once in English and once in Vietnamese. In the sessions, they covered common difficulties encountered during the transfer of employees in Vietnam and shared practical tips for a smooth and efficient transfer process.
- On November 29, Penrurk Phetmani, together with Ketnut Pukahuta as a moderator, presented a Thai-language session focused on key points relevant to requesting work permits and visa extensions for foreign employees in Thailand. Penrurk provided a comprehensive overview of work permit criteria, end of employment requirements, penalties, and other related restrictions that companies should know.
- On November 30, Nu Thi To Nguyen and Sarah Galeski offered insights (in English) on termination of employees in Vietnam in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, and concluded the session with an interactive discussion with attendees.