On March 30, Dino Santaniello, head of Tilleke & Gibbins’ Laos office; Jay Cohen, partner and director of the firm’s Cambodia office; Ross Taylor, counsel in the firm’s Myanmar office; and Sochanmalisphoung Vannavuth, an associate in the Cambodia office, delivered a webinar explaining data compliance obligations in their respective countries. The webinar, which was organized in conjunction with the Australian Chambers of Commerce in Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar, aimed to give business operators in these jurisdictions a clear understanding of their compliance duties relating to personal data.
In this webinar, each speaker addressed the following topics:
- Regulations and legal provisions that affect the handling of personal data in Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar;
- Definitions of personal data and identification of relevant parties;
- Legal requirements for and limitations on the collection and processing of personal data;
- Duties imposed upon data controllers; and
- Penalties for breaching local data protection laws.
Full video recordings of each section of the webinar are available (by country) below.