Vietnam’s Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT) is considering issuing a circular to amend Circular No. 47/2014/TT-BCT of 2014 on the management of e-commerce websites, and Circular 59/2015/TT-BCT of 2015 on the management of e-commerce activities via mobile applications. It is expected that the amendments will be issued in the coming months.
The proposed amendments in the draft circular seem to be aimed at eliminating vague language and narrowing the subjects of notification and registration requirements in certain e-commerce activities, specifically:
- notification of e-commerce shopping websites;
- registration of websites providing e-commerce services;
- registration of e-commerce trust rating activities;
- notification of sales applications; and
- registration of applications providing e-commerce services.
Generally speaking, the changes limit the notification/registration requirements to the owners of the websites or apps in question. Accordingly, enterprises who are supporting the operations of websites or applications but are not the owners will no longer be subject to such requirements.