Darani Vachanavuttivong and Suebsiri Taweepon of Tilleke & Gibbins have contributed the Thailand chapter to the recently published book, International Copyright Law: A Practical Global Guide. The book reflects on the origins of copyright law and the path on which it is headed. With rapid advances in technology, copyright has expanded to become a semi-harmonized body of law with international reach. This directly influences how many types of business operate and how they use and protect rights around the world.
The Thailand chapter covers the types of work that can be protected, formalities for and duration of protection, rules relating to the ownership of copyright works, and infringement. The topics are as follows:
- Copyright Treaties and Conventions – The Berne Convention and the TRIPS Agreement
- Status of Protection – Protected work definition, criteria, and specific works
- Formalities for Protection – The Department of Intellectual Property
- Duration of Protection – Literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, photographic, audiovisual, audio and video broadcasting, sound recordings, cinematographic work, applied art, and computer programs
- Ownership of Works – Initial ownership, commissioned works and works made in the course of employment, and assignment and licensing
- Infringement – Primary and secondary infringement
- Rights – Moral and performers’ rights
- Defenses – Fair dealing/use, private use, internet safe harbors, temporary copying, and other key defenses
- Enforcement of Foreign Copyright – Legal effects
International Copyright Law: A Practical Guide features contributions from experts in 40 jurisdictions, setting out the legal framework of their copyright law and how to protect and exploit rights in creative works. It aims to assist individuals in multinational companies and lawyers in private practice who deal with copyright works such as publications, music, and films, in knowing their rights under copyright law in all the main markets in the world. If you would like to read more of the Thailand chapter, an excerpt is provided in the PDF below.