The 2015 edition of Distribution and Marketing of Drugs, a guide to the distribution and marketing of drugs in 28 jurisdictions around the world, has been published. Each chapter provides an overview of the legal framework governing distribution and marketing of pharmaceuticals, including pre-conditions for distribution; licensing; wholesale distribution; marketing to consumers; marketing to professionals; and engagement with patient organizations.
The Vietnam chapter, written by Tu Ngoc Trinh and Huong Lan Nguyen, members of the Tilleke & Gibbins corporate and commercial team in Vietnam, covers the following subjects in detail:
- Distribution: Pre-conditions for distribution, the process of authorization by the Drug Administration of Vietnam, special cases for importing drugs without registration, the procedural structure and costs regarding licensing a drug for distribution, and the procedure to appeal a licensing decision.
- Distribution to Consumers: The categories of drugs for distribution, the persons and establishments that are authorized to distribute to consumers, the responsibilities of the Ministry of Health in Vietnam, appealing distribution decisions, and consequences of non-compliance with consumer distribution laws.
- Wholesale Distribution: The legal regime regarding the wholesale of drugs, the authorities responsible for supervising wholesale distribution activities, and the legal consequences of noncompliance.
- Marketing and Promotion: The general regime and limits of marketing activities, including a list of the main laws and regulations governing marketing activities of drugs in Vietnam.
- Marketing to Consumers: The legal regime with respect to marketing to consumers, the types of drugs that can be advertised to consumers, the mediums of marketing that can be used, and the marketing techniques that are not permitted in Vietnam.
- Marketing to Professionals: Marketing activities permitted when marketing to professionals, the extent to which Vietnam law controls meetings with groups of professionals, information that is legally required when advertising to professionals, rules on comparisons with other products, and the permissibility of discounts, free samples, and sponsoring of professionals.
Distribution and Marketing of Drugs is published by Practical Law Company, which is owned by Thomson Reuters. For more information on the publication, please visit the PLC website.