Getting the Deal Through – Licensing 2021, published by Law Business Research (part of the Lexology network), provides a comprehensive guide to licensing in 18 countries around the world with contributions by several leading international law firms. Alan Adcock, partner and deputy director of intellectual property, Siraprapha Claassen, consultant, and Kasama Sriwatanakul, attorney-at-law from Tilleke & Gibbins’ Bangkok office, co-authored the Licensing 2021 Thailand chapter, which covers the following topics:
- Laws: Unfair Contract Terms Act, Trade Competition Act, pre-contractual disclosure, registration of international licensing, implied obligations, Civil and Commercial Code, Trademark Act, Patent Act, and Trade Secrets Act.
- Intellectual property issues: Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property, PCT, TRIPs. Contesting the validity of licensor’s IP rights, invalidity and expiry of IP rights, evidence of use, licensing unregistered IP, opposability requirements, sub-licensing, co-owners, trade secrets, and copyright.
- Software licensing: perpetual licensing, import/export restrictions, improvements and modifications, user restrictions, and legal developments.
- Competition law: Trade Competition Act, specific restrictions on licensing agreements, and significant court decisions.
- Indemnification, disclaimers, and damages: prevalence and enforceability of indemnity provisions and contractual waivers of damages.
- Termination: conditions, indemnity, agency, and impact on sub-licenses.
- Bankruptcy: impact of licensee bankruptcy on licensor and vice versa, protection, and rights to terminate.
- Dispute resolution: governing law, arbitration, enforcement, injunctions, contractual waivers
- Royalties and payments: currency conversion, tax, remittance restrictions, and jurisdiction-specific payments.
The Thailand chapter is available below as a PDF.
Tilleke & Gibbins also contributed the Vietnam chapter to Licensing 2021. To browse all 18 jurisdictions covered by the guide, please visit the Getting the Deal Through website.