Tilleke & Gibbins’ Textile Collection consists of museum-quality textiles representing the diverse cultures of mainland Southeast Asia. With over 2,000 textiles, the mission of our Textile Collection is to collect, display, and preserve the textiles, in proximity to the geographical area in which they were created. Our firm has also loaned some of its rare textiles to museums in Thailand, Laos, and the United States.
Fabrics from the various ethnic groups constituting Thailand’s citizenry form the foundation of the collection, supplemented by cloth from neighboring countries, including Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Vietnam, and beyond. A wide selection of clothing types, ceremonial items, and domestic accessories comprise the Tilleke & Gibbins Textile Collection.
The activities of the firm’s Textile Collection are to:
- Display textiles on rotation at Tilleke & Gibbins’ offices
- Care for the Textile Collection following international museum standards
- Systematically catalog the textiles
- Provide public access to the Textile Collection during office hours
- Oversee loans of textiles and images for educational exhibitions and publications
- Organize off-site exhibits
- Educate the public about the Tilleke & Gibbins Textile Collection, its textiles, and related topics through lectures and other activities